Friday, November 2, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 44


1. Tomorrow is the highly procrastinated anticipated open house that I'm selling at. Yay! And that's a "yay" as in "Yay. Glad it's here. Note to self: Don't sign up to do any in-person events ever again unless you're way ahead on everything else." Eek. I know that probably sounds so rude and unprofessional. But I've come to a realization about the whole self-owned business thingy. In-person sales are fantastic for selling items that can easily be made in bulk, items that involve designing and outside production (such making a graphic design and then having ten copies of it printed...only took time to make one!), or items where the seller is a sales rep for a larger company. (jewelry, make-up, etc.) Or, I suppose, handmade businesses that are starting out and don't have an internet presence yet. It's definitely a way of getting business/orders. But the reality of my business right now is that since I've spent several years building the internet side of things, I don't have to do anything to get business. Just sit here and wait for the ding to go off on my phone. And the orders I receive dictate what I make. Whereas with in-person sales, you have to pre-make a bunch of things that may or may not sell. (By the way, let me pause for just a moment. The Christmas shopping season is just around the corner. 'Sell' and 'sale' are two different words. One is a verb and one is a noun. The poor misuse of these two is driving me crazy lately.) Back to what I was saying. I think I've been drawn to the whole in-person handmade market thing because I've seen photos and blog posts of so many and they just look oh-so-pretty and fun. Time to see other handmade products, time to be "all in" with my business, and heck, a break from the kids to spend sipping wine and chatting with other ladies! But I think the idyllic view I had of it all changes a bit when I think of what I've put myself through over the past week to try and squeeze everything in. Sure, I have several baskets of products to sell, a cool new handmade "catalog" for in-person orders to be placed, order forms, pricing sheets, the whole nine yards. But what am I going to do with all of this stuff after tomorrow!?! If the products don't sell, I'll essentially have to sit on them until I receive an order for each color/design online. And create individual online listings for the custom blankets I made. The other stuff? Who knows. I suppose it will sit in a bin in my sewing world until I agree to do another one of these someday. Please, don't listen to me ramble on and on about this. I'm obviously exhausted from staying up until at least midnight every night this week. Who knows...I'll probably come back next week raving about how well it went, how much fun I had, and how I can't wait to do it again. It's the lack of sleep talking here!

2. Among the personal madness mentioned above, my gig as mom has continued on as normal. Yes, the boys do know that I sew during nap time and sometimes after bed, but I'm pretty sure they're totally unaware of some of the insanity I put myself through. Anyhow, we had a blast doing Halloween festivities yesterday and carving pumpkins on Monday. Rudy, especially, is a huge fan of Halloween. Several of my parent's neighbors go all out with decorating their houses and giving out all kinds of gifts and goodies so we headed over there early last night. While living there for a few months when we first moved down, we became friends with many of their neighbors too so it's nice to meet up with everyone again. Then we headed back to our own street and had fun visiting with all of our current neighbors. Mark, unfortunately, got stuck in a long surgery and didn't make it home until all of the trick-or-treating was over but he still got to see the boys in their suits and help them rifle through all their goodies. The excitement was so high that they were very late to bed last night and then up early this morning so we could go to mass for All Saints Day. The older two and I had deep discussions about how the saints became saints and Kolbe informed me that he didn't know if he'd ever be able to be one because he didn't know if he could be that good all the time. Ha! While it's certainly my utmost goal to raise little saints, I appreciate his honesty! And, of course, I told him that many of the saints were the biggest sinners before they dedicated their lives to serving Christ. His response was, "Ok, well I'll try." That's my Kolb.

3. As I mentioned earlier, my brother Pat has been here off and on for the past few weeks. It has been great to spend some quality time with him! The boys love Uncle P. Unfortunately, my grandmother and aunt didn't get to come because of the hurricane, but hopefully they'll be able to reschedule soon. Despite the crazy busyness, I love this time of the year most especially for the time with family. (certainly not for the Houston weather) Next week we have tons of "events" surrounding Kolbe's birthday, the end of the soccer season, etc, but it won't be long until we are headed to Lubbock to celebrate Thanksgiving. We haven't been to Lubbock since last Christmas. It has been way too long and we can't wait! ...Maybe it won't be in the 80s when we get there...

Mama and her super heroes!
Kolbe's new favorite quiet time activity: scavenger hunt. He has to read the word and go find the object somewhere in the game room all by himself.
Carving pumpkins!
This is how our Halloween morning started. Someone found a mud puddle. It's hard to see in the picture, but knees to toes were completely submerged. 
Uncle P teaching Grant how to play with Power Rangers!

No comments:

Post a Comment