Thursday, October 20, 2011

TTT: Season 2, Episode 41

1. New Babies
My very first niece was born this week! Yay! After five consecutive boys (on my side of the family) we finally have a girl. My brother Mike, who just returned home from Afghanistan, and his wife, Casey welcomed little Kennedy Olivia yesterday morning. It will probably be Christmas time before we get to meet her, but man, I can't wait to get my hands on a fluffy little girl! And we also found out this week that another brother, Andy, and his wife Abby are definitely having another boy! Baby Will is due to be born in February and we can't wait to meet him either. If he's anywhere as sweet as our godson/his big brother, John, I know we're going to love him. So of the seven grandkids on the Hefferly side, it will be 6-1. We should have known with my parents having four boys and one girl that it's obviously in the genes! With Kolbe's fourth birthday approaching in just a few weeks, I asked my mom if she ever imagined that in a span of roughly four years she'd have seven grandbabies. Of course she said no way! But it's definitely so much fun and oh so exciting. Lots of children means lots of love. Sure, they're lots of work and sacrifice, but the love we all get back in return as a big family is worth all of that and more.

2. Finding a Routine
I'm happy to say that things are starting to feel somewhat normal around here for me. I even ran into someone I knew at Target the other day. I know that sounds so minimal, but up until this point, I haven't "known" people here outside of my parents, their neighbors, or our neighbors. And the boys and I have finally established somewhat of a routine. Like every Tuesday we go to the library for story time. On Thursday mornings we go to my little book study group with a few other Catholic moms. The only part that is still lacking...and I want to remedy...is our Sunday mass. There are two big Catholic churches in The Woodlands. So far we feel most at home at St. Anthony's, but my parents go to Sts. Simon and Jude. The problem right now lies in Mark's call schedule. Of course we want to go to mass as a family. But when Mark is on call, he usually has to be rounding on patients during the mass we'd like to attend...which is 9am at St. Anthony's. So what usually ends up happening is that I go to my parents' mass so that I can have help with the three boys and Mark goes to the Sunday night 6pm mass. Technically we could all go to this mass together, but it's a very lengthy mass at a not-so-opportune time for toddlers. So right now it's just a mess. And back in Lubbock, going to our regular mass at St. E's was one of the constants in the week that I loved so much and felt so comfortable with. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out something soon. At least everything else seems to be balancing out. Finally.

3. Random
- The weather finally cooled down this week. Like seventies in the day and lows in the forties. Hooray!
- But with the weather change, now I feel like I might be getting a sinus infection. Boo.
- And now I face the dubious task of switching out all the summer clothes for the winter ones. Not fun.
- I got the boys' Halloween costumes made this week. They look adorable! Pictures to come next week.
- Mark has been on call for two weeks. Two weeks straight. His call is the thing I hate the most about his job. It's really not good. At all. Especially for a family with young children.
- Flights were finally booked this week for Mark's parents to come spend Thanksgiving with us. We haven't had guests in several months and we can't wait!
- Grant's four month appointment is next week. After the insanity that was his two month appointment, I'm dreading it! Maybe his extra chubby thighs will make shots more bearable this time around. I'm hoping.
- Can you believe Christmas is just two months away!?! Just typing that makes my anxiety level go up. I've got a lot to do between now and then.

Our new niece!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....(aka: Lubbock)
This picture was taken from my brother, Dave's apartment during one of the biggest dust storms Lubbock has ever seen. Definitely don't miss this part of Lubbock!

Grant has finally taken a liking to "the baby in the mirror"
He smiles and flirts with him no-stop!

Yes, this is a picture of a picture on a computer monitor.
We all keep wondering who Grant looks like. When he's asleep he looks like Kolbe. But this looks exactly like him too. And it's actually Reagan at the same age.

Yesterday my dad came and picked the boys up so they could go to his house and watch as some dead trees were cut down in their backyard. They were definitely fascinated by the brave guys that climbed "way, way, way, way up there!"

And in the mean time, Mama got a nice break and got to spend some time with her favorite little baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment