Monday, September 20, 2010

A Favorite Sewing Achievement

I think every sewist has certain pinnacles that he or she hopes to reach. For some, it might be designing and creating her very own garment. For others it may be as simple as putting in a zipper well.

Some prefer to sew clothing. Others prefer to quilt. Still more prefer to create other items for the home. Or costumes! To each, his own.

My mother has always been primarily a garment maker. She made many of my childhood dresses and ensembles. And even a few of my prom and formal dresses. Not to mention my gorgeous gown for homecoming court my senior year of high school. (Lets just say that in Mississippi, circa 1999, wedding dresses were appropriate for such an occasion.) However, I know of another sewist who makes the most beautiful quilts in the world. Intricate and detailed, they are the envy of any family home. But she doesn't do garments.

I, for some reason, have been unable to pin down exactly which sewing field I prefer. At first, I dabbled in simple sewing. You know, straight lines and the sort. Then I really started to push myself and endeavored into garments. Both for myself as well as the teeny tiny people of this world. My first being an Aladdin costume for my son. But I couldn't stop there. I had to try bags. Purses. Curtains. Backpacks. Accessosries! Leave no rock un-climbed!

But still, there was the ever elusive quilt.

Surely it couldn't be that hard. After all, it's just a bunch of straight lines, right? Technically, yes. It's just the time it requires to make it. And the details. And make sure it's all lined up. Precisely. And...and...and...

But I did it! And it's the crowning achievement of my sewing life thus far. And I did it for two of my favorite people.

My boys.

I followed a wonderful online tutorial found at Obsessively Stitching. Honestly, without Care's step-by-step instructions, I don't think I would have ever managed! And her I-spy obsession and swap opportunities were perfect for me, as I was hoping to make something functional for more than just keeping the little ones warm. Playing I-spy with the eighty-eight different novelty squares is so much fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment