Thursday, September 16, 2010

What's in a Name?

Obviously the name of this blog stems from the name of my etsy shop. No mystery there. But where did the name of the etsy shop come from? Well, as a stay-at-home mom, of course the boys are the center of my every day existence. They're my job, after all. I think about them constantly and love them fiercely.

Once upon a time, when Rudy was more of a baby than he is now, say six months or so, I had this conversation with Kolbe:

Me: Rudy is the baby, huh, Kolbs.
Kolbe: Yeah.
Me: Are you the baby?
Kolbe: No, me's not the baby. RuRu the baby.
Me: Well if Rudy is the baby, then what are you?
Kolbe: RuRu the baby, me's the sweetheart.

I guess after years of calling him my sweetheart, it finally stuck. Thus the first part of the name. The second part came about in a similar way. Ever since Kolbe was born I've been a big singer of "You Are My Sunshine." It's my favorite. And the boys love it too. I suppose after hearing it roughly a million times, Kolbe picked up on it too:

Me: Goodnight, my sweetheart.
Kolbe: No, me not sweetheart. Me's sunshines.
Me: You're not my sweetheart anymore!?!
Kolbe: No, me's sunshines.
Me: Well who is going to be my sweetheart then???
Kolbe: RuRu sweetheart. Me sunshines.

Now, between the two, the names can be used interchangeably. Some days Kolbe wants to be the sweetheart. Others he prefers to be the sunshine. Rudy doesn't know to argue for a title yet, but I'm sure he will some day.

So there you have it. Sweetheart and Sunshine. My two little boys. And a perfectly fitting name for my shop and blog. 'Cause really, the only time I get to work on either is when they're napping or asleep at night...all the while, still thinking of them and the little family God has blessed me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment