Monday, September 27, 2010

Sewing Room

At the fabric store a day or two ago a woman caught me looking at some lovely fabric and asked if I had ever used it before.

"No. Not yet. It's a bit out of my budget," I replied. "Have you?"

"Yes, actually. I used it to make the curtains in my sewing room. I love it."

"I do too! It's really pretty. You must love being in your sewing room."

"I do. But don't we all! Do you have a sewing room?"

I paused for a moment and probably flushed a bright shade of red. Wanting to defend my humble little dwelling, I simply replied with:

"No, not quite. But I've got room to sew."

Now it was her turn to blush a bit. "Well I guess that's all you need," she said with a smile and casually walked off.

No, I definitely don't have a sewing room in my house. Just a jack-of-all trades room that serves as a guest room, office, and sewing storage for me. I don't actually sew in there. There's no table where I could make that happen. All the sewing takes place in the kitchen...which is why it only takes place during nap time or after the kids have done to bed. Yes, it's annoying to have to set up and take down each day, but we're in the put up and shut up phase of life and I have no room to complain. Maybe someday I'll have that dream playroom I've imagined where I can corner off some space for permanent placement of my things. And maybe not. Only time will tell. But you know what? I have a feeling that I'm not alone in this. While there are certainly some very blessed women out there, such as the owner of this:

or this:

I'd say that most of us who like to sew, or scrapbook, or read, or... probably get along just fine without an entire space dedicated to our hobby. I mean, really...how many of you out there have a library in your home!?! So I thought instead of sharing my "sewing room" with you, I'd show you my "room to sew."
This is how I roll. Literally. This is my sewing cart. A random hand-me-down printer cart from my uncle. She lives in the guest/office/storage room, just inside the door. She gets rolled out to the kitchen each day that I sew. The machine stacked on top, thread just beneath, and works-in-progress on the bottom rack.

Across from her stands the guest bed/work station. Shamefully, it usually looks like this whenever it's not housing a guest. I know it annoys Mark to know end, but hey, no one else sees it! I realize it looks like a total mess...complete with confiscated Buzz Lightyear that was being mis-used....but I know where everything is and why it's there so I'm happy. Organized chaos.

Once the babes are resting, my cart makes the trek with me down the hall to the kitchen table. Where all my goodies spend an hour or two looking like this. Sewing cart: check. Machine set up: check. Large: Sonic drink: check (rare...just on lucky days!) Cell phone: check (you know...just in case the slight possibility of someone calling might occur)

I must admit that guest/office/storage room does live up to the last part of it's name in a great way. It has an expansive walk-in closet that houses my ever expanding storage of fabric, among other things. I know. I know. This also looks ridiculous. But really! Most of this yardage I got great deals on! Ok...ALL of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment